BlueBottleBiz Founder & CEO Marcelino Elosua, Head of Content & Partner Strategy Christian Smythe, and Communications & Partnerships Manager Bibiana Zamacona were among nearly 290,000 visitors who attended Frankfurt Book Fair last week. Attendees represented 102 countries at this key international publishing event.
Situated directly across from high-profile neighbor Nielsen, and right next to the entrance from the outside courtyard and an ice cream stand, the BlueBottleBiz booth was well-attended throughout the duration of the fair. Marcelino, Christian and Bibiana reconnected with many current publishing partners and met with new publishers to chat about expanding the platform’s multi-language business content library. To date, books and videos hosted in BlueBottleBiz are available in six languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Chinese and Portuguese.
Aside from meetings and networking, we had some time to listen in on the big issues affecting the publishing space.
Key takeaways from Frankfurt Book Fair
If you didn’t make it to Frankfurt Book Fair this year, here are a few key takeaways:
- Brexit. This was the hot topic of several different panels. Panel discussions explained how Brexit might affect distribution of English-language books into Europe, which has traditionally been handled by UK publishers. However, this may now be up for grabs, according to comments made by Simon & Schuster CEO Carolyn Reidy.
- Tech companies. Last year, there was a heavy focus on how digital is affecting the publishing business. This year, tech companies were still dominantly present, along with digital libraries and subscription platforms. The continued presence of digital solutions confirms our unique place in the publishing industry, as a publisher-friendly medium for elevating author and brand visibility.
- The global publisher marketplace. There’s no doubt that Frankfurt Book Fair is the premier publisher industry event of the year. As mentioned earlier, attendees represented more than 100 different countries. Publishing Perspectives offers in-depth, day-by-day coverage of big-name authors and publishers from around the world. To get a taste for the sheer size and prominence of Frankfurt Book Fair, click here.
If you made it to last week’s fair, but didn’t get the chance to visit BlueBottleBiz at our stand….
Here’s what you missed
- Author Pages are ready to be created. A free tool for BlueBottleBiz authors, Author Pages include:
– An author biography
– A modern display of each author’s current and backlist titles
– An events calendar for authors to list speaking engagements, book tours and other events
– Interactive voting, which enables readers to vote for their favorite book cover and title option (if an author is looking for input)
Each Author Page is viewable by all BlueBottleBiz members, elevating author visibility among a global professional audience. Publishers interested in creating pages for their authors can contact Christian (US) or Bibiana (Europe) to get started.
- New features are coming soon. BlueBottleBiz prides itself in being a publisher-friendly knowledge community. The platform is gearing up to launch new features that will invite readers into the publishing process, and better facilitate in-person interactions between readers and authors. Think: exchanging feedback directly with authors, and readers easily booking their place at their favorite authors’ events. Stay tuned!
We look forward to future book fairs, networking with partners and international publishers, and continuing to sculpt our unique position within the publishing space. If you attended Frankfurt Book Fair, share your experience in the comments below.